Applicants who are Unmarried to a UK Citizen (UK Citizenship Requirements)
UK Citizenship can be obtained under one of the following two categories:
- Naturalisation after completing 6 years in the UK.
- Naturalization after completing 3 years in the UK as a spouse or civil partner of a UK citizen.
- For those not married to a UK citizen, the candidate must fulfil the following conditions to qualify for naturalisation.
1. Residence -The applicant must have completed 5 years residence period in the UK.
Must not have remained outside the UK for more than 450 days during those 5 years.
Must not have left the UK for more than 90 days in the last year of the 5 year tenure.
Resided in the UK for 1 year without any restrictions.
2. Good Character – The candidate must be considered to be of good character. The UK government will make enquiries in order to verify the character of an applicant.
3. Knowledge of English language – An applicant must be able to communicate in English, Welsh or Scottish Gaelic.
4. Knowledge of life in the UK – The Life In The UK test must be passed to determine the candidate’s knowledge of life in the UK.
5. Future intentions – The candidate must have the intention of residing in the UK.
6. Age limit – An applicant must be at least 18 years of age and be of sound mind.
Another important factor worth noting is the applicant must have permanent residence status at the time of applying for UK citizenship. Upon fulfilment of these conditions, the applicant will be eligible for UK citizenship.